Friday 14 September 2007

Blogs and subjects of discussion...

On a coffee break with colleagues, and having fun as usual with the "Dream Team" from the "6th Floor", the important question suddenly became: "when are you going to write another post in your blog?"

I was puzzled by the interest my blog had generated among them...hadn't realized to which extent. My "little" blog had its admirers...

I had started my blog with no precise intention, maybe it was just a will to "go with the flow", after all, working in a "technology" environment, managing a website, and being a fan of the latest technological "gadgets" that might seem natural.

In fact, quite an irony, when thinking that I had delayed as much as I could to have a mobile phone or that I discovered Internet only 9 years ago! Seems so long now ... who would have guessed???

To go back to that interesting coffee break...laughing as usual ...the question of the next post came out of the blue and actually quite puzzled me. I hadn't realized my blog was being read with much interest amongst colleagues.

Seems that the post on the fire situation in Greece was a success. A few simple words to express my own view of the problem, my own revolt with a situation that is still so confusing and difficult to explain why it reached such catastrophic levels and my grief for a country I learnt to love as if my own. That little summary of the situation had caught their attention and interest!

Is it true finally that the "pen is mightier than the sword"? I know what some of you might be thinking...it sounds a bit pompous to say such a thing for a little blog like mine, but if my blog could interest 20 people on what was happening in Greece (people who were completely unaware of the real extent of the disaster), then it was worth while!

To end this post, I leave you with the complete adage coined by Edward Bulwer-Lytton in his 1839 play "Richelieu, or the Conspiracy":

True, This!
Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
The pen is mightier than the sword. Behold
The arch-enchanters wand! itself a nothing!
But taking sorcery from the master-hand
To paralyse the Cæsars, and to strike
The loud earth breathless!
Take away the sword
States can be saved without it!

OK, lets be honest...he was not the only one to think that. So maybe, it is true...leaving you (until the next post - soon) with words from those who agree with me:

The Greek poet Euripides said, "The tongue is mightier than the blade."
Shakespeare in Hamlet writes that "... many wearing rapiers are afraid of goose quills."
In 1621 Robert Burton wrote The Anatomy of Melancholy, in which he stated: "From this it is clear how much more cruel the pen may be than the sword."
And Thomas Jefferson, who in 1796 sent a letter to Thomas Paine in which he wrote: "Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword."

No comments:

Post a Comment