"Sal jy onthou" by Nianell
Suid-Afrikaners ken haar as die “Engelstem”. Ek stem saam. Sy het 'n wonderlike stem!
Monday, 28 July 2008
Sunday, 27 July 2008
Koeksisters are sweets from South Africa and it is dough made in the shape of a plait, that is deep fried in oil and then dipped in a cold syrup.
If you keep your oil hot and the syrup very cold you get the perfect koeksister - crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft, moist and syrupy on the inside.
Making koeksisters is time-consuming and labour-intensive, so plan ahead to set a night and day aside for making this delicious treat. You can also do like me, plan ahead and invite friends for the afternoon to have fun cooking the koeksisters...from experience, I can guarantee some good laughs!
The syrup is made the night before to chill in the refrigerator. If the syrup isn't cold the dough won't soak up the syrup and you will end up with a dry koeksister.
- 15ml lemon juice
- 12 cups sugar (250ml)
- 5ml cream of tartar
- 3 small pieces of cinnamon sticks
- 2ml ginger powder
- 1.625ml water
- Mix the ingredients in a pot
- Bring into a boil while stirring - sllow the sugar to dissolve
- Turn the heat to medium and allow to boil for 10 minutes
- Cool down.
- Leave in a fridge over night (It has to be very cold when used. A little trick, have lots of ice ready to keep your bowl of syrup very cold at all times!)
- 4 X 250ml flour
- 20ml Baking Powder
- 1ml salt
- 60ml butter
- 3 large eggs
- 150ml water
- 750ml cooking oil
- Invite friends over!
- Sieve the first 3 ingredients
- Rub the butter into it with your fingers
- Mix eggs and water until foamy
- Add egg mixture slowly and mix with hands
- Prepare dough (knie) for 5 minutes
- Roll out the dough about 6mm thick - cut and plait
- Heat the oil
- Keep the syrup close by (bowl of syrup within another larger bowl full of ice)
- Fry koeksisters until golden (not too many at a time)
- Dip into syrup immediately. Hold in syrup for a few minutes (reason why it is better - and funnier - to be 2 to do this, one persons fries and the other one holds the koeksister in the syrup).
I would like to thank my "funny" visitors of this afternoon for the laughs and the fun we had baking the koeksisters!
- 1 tin evaporated milk
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 1 container cottage cheese (smooth)
- 125ml lemon juice
- Biscuits and butter (for the tart base)
- Put into a tart ring, a crust made from the butter and the finely minced biscuits
- Drain the leechies and keep their juice aside
- Mix together evaporated milk, condensed milk, cottage cheese and lemon juice
- Add the leechies to the mixture