Sunday 7 September 2008

ραβανί (ravani)...


Greeks love desserts soaked in light-scented honey or sugar syrup. I can remember how much I enjoyed Ravani and today, I just could not help it and had to try to bake one. Was hesitating between all the great recipes like "Baklava", "Galaktobouriko", "Bougatsa" or a good "Yiaourtopita me Karythia kai Fystikia Aiginis" (Greek yogurt, walnut and pistachio cake with syrup)...but after roaming my fridge I settled for a Ravani.

The smell that invaded my kitchen reminded me of all the time I spent in Greece and how much I miss it. I hope you'll enjoy baking it as much as I did!

καλή όρεξη!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of fine semolina
  • 1-1/2 cups of flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup of margarine or butter, softened
  • 6 eggs, separated
  • 1 cup of whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel
  • 2 tablespoons of water

Syrup:

  • 3-1/2 cups of sugar
  • 3 cups of water
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Vanilla

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
  2. Sift the flour and whisk with semolina, baking powder, and baking soda.
  3. In the processor mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add egg yolks, sugar, and grated lemon peel and continue to mix until light and creamy.
  4. Add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with the milk, until completely blended.
  5. Remove from processing bowl and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Whip the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of cold water to the stiff peak stage, and with a wooden spoon, stir carefully into the batter until thoroughly distributed.
  6. Transfer the cake batter to a lightly greased baking pan (I have used a baking pan that you can throw away after as I couldn’t find the right size. This aluminium baking pans can be found at any supermarkets) and spread evenly with a spatula.
  7. Bake at 180°C for approximately 45-50 minutes. Cake will pull away slightly from the sides of the baking pan when done.
  8. Remove from the oven and allow cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before starting the syrup.
  9. Cut cake into small squares or diamond-shaped pieces.

Prepare the syrup:

  1. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
  2. Add vanilla.
  3. Boil for 10 minutes.
  4. Stir in lemon juice, remove vanilla and pour the hot syrup over the lukewarm cake, evenly and very carefully to avoid collapsing the cake, starting at the outside edges.
  5. Allow to cool completely.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,
    This is my first time visiting your blog and will not be my last. You have a very nice site here!

    I don't recall having this sweet before, it looks realy good. I am certainly tempted to make it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm!!
    tenho uma priminha muito prendada nos doces;) mas que optimo aspecto...beijinhos enormes e uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. psiuu...

    Estás de férias ou vez?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A julgar pela receita e pelo aspecto... nham nham!

    ReplyDelete